Date of this Session: July 22nd, 2020
Time of this Session: 8AM-12PM New York Time • 1PM-5PM London Time • 8PM-12AM Shanghai Time
Please use this tool to see when this session will occur in your time zone.
How can we nurture students’ literacy learning in online contexts? What does an online English class or Writers’ Workshop look like and sounds like? Our Deep Dive Team will share practical answers and solutions to support your online English Language Arts teaching. This session will be co-facilitated by ISS educators and specific content experts from international schools.
Participants will actively engage in virtual learning that can be transferred into the classroom, no matter what the context. Additionally, all participants will have the opportunity to work in smaller group sessions that align to their specific grade level, content area, and pedagogical beliefs.
This 4-hour deep dive session for English Language Arts educators will focus on the following key areas:
- Hybrid Learning: This first section focuses on exploring a multitude of pedagogical approaches and instructional practices for synchronous and asynchronous activities in PreK-12 mixed groups.
- Online Assessment: The second section focuses on the formative and summative assessment of online learning. Breakout group discussions sorted by divisions (ES, MS, HS).
- Building Community: This section focuses on building community and finding new ways to increase engagement and motivation with online learners in mixed PreK-12 breakout discussions.
- Grading & Reporting: This next section focuses on small group discussions centered on the grading and reporting practices that are unique to each participant. Breakout group discussions sorted by divisions (ES, MS, HS) and various reporting practices (SBG, P/F, letter, IB 1-7).
- Resources & Tools: Our final section focuses on harvesting the collective knowledge of the group. In this section, we will share resources and tools that specifically apply to our given content areas.
**When registering, be sure to register using the same email you use for Zoom or you will not be able to attend the Deep Dive. If you are registering someone else for this Deep Dive, use the attendee's name and email address.
Meet the Presenters
Grade 4 Homeroom Teacher, American International School of Guangzhou (AISG)
Amy Lee has been teaching for 13 years in both China and the United States. Having taught grades K, 1, and 2, she is currently teaching 4th grade at the American International School of Guangzhou (AISG). She is eager to share her experiences during this journey of remote learning and online instruction.
Middle School Coordinator, Middle School English Language Arts and Social Studies Teacher, Independent Schools of Riau
Evelyn has been teaching since 2002, mostly middle school English language arts and social studies. She became an international teacher in 2012, teaching in Colombia and then Indonesia. She is currently the middle school coordinator as well as the ELA and social studies teacher at Independent Schools Riau in Sumatra, Indonesia. Evelyn is passionate about encouraging the love of reading that students develop in elementary school, as well as empowering students to communicate powerfully, whether writing or speaking.