Date of this Session: July 29th, 2020
Time of this Session: 8AM-12PM New York Time • 1PM-5PM London Time • 8PM-12AM Shanghai Time
Please use this tool to see when this session will occur in your time zone.
How has the instruction of world languages and English as an Additional Language changed since we have moved online? How do I assess language skills and acquisition virtually? Our Deep Dive Team will share practical answers and solutions to support virtual learning. This session will be co-facilitated by ISS educators and specific content experts from international schools.
Participants will actively engage in virtual learning that can be transferred into the classroom, no matter what the context. Additionally, all participants will have the opportunity to work in smaller group sessions that align to their specific grade level, content area, and pedagogical beliefs.
This 4-hour deep dive session for World Language & EAL/ESL educators will focus on the following key areas:
- Hybrid Learning: This first section focuses on exploring a multitude of pedagogical approaches and instructional practices for synchronous and asynchronous activities in PreK-12 mixed groups.
- Online Assessment: The second section focuses on the formative and summative assessment of online learning. Breakout group discussions sorted by divisions (ES, MS, HS).
- Building Community: This section focuses on building community and finding new ways to increase engagement and motivation with online learners in mixed PreK-12 breakout discussions.
- Grading & Reporting: This next section focuses on small group discussions centered on the grading and reporting practices that are unique to each participant. Breakout group discussions sorted by divisions (ES, MS, HS) and various reporting practices (SBG, P/F, letter, IB 1-7).
- Resources & Tools: Our final section focuses on harvesting the collective knowledge of the group. In this section, we will share resources and tools that specifically apply to our given content areas.
**When registering, be sure to register using the same email you use for Zoom or you will not be able to attend the Deep Dive. If you are registering someone else for this Deep Dive, use the attendee's name and email address.
Meet the Presenters
Keisha La Beach
EAL Coordinator, NCIC-Immersion School
Keisha La Beach has spent 15 of her 21 years as an educator working in international schools and has dedicated the last 9 years to collaborating with students, teachers, parents, and administrators in support of multilingual learners. She currently serves as EAL Coordinator and member of the leadership team at NCIC Immersion, a dual language immersion school in Shenzhen, China. Keisha has held multiple positions at the International School of Dongguan and the American International School of Kingston, but her teaching career started in Kingston, Jamaica at a private preparatory school. She believes in the power of collaboration and has recently taken on a new role as EAL Coalition Coordinator for 3 ISS-ULink.
Curriculum Coordinator, ACS Beirut
Hanadi Dayyeh, PhD., is a researcher in the field of Historical Linguistics. She led and audited the Arabic programs in several international and American schools in the Middle East and trained hundreds of language teachers in international conferences. She is a member of the American Education Reaches Out (AERO) World Language team that oversees the development, implementation, and review of the world languages standards and benchmarks. Dr. Dayyeh taught Arabic to native and non-native speakers for more than 15 years and has several publications in this field. Currently, she is the curriculum coordinator and the Arabic program coordinator at the American Community School at Beirut